Wednesday, March 5, 2008

All About the Benjamins


This is absolutely true: There were some Girls Scouts out here in Colorado peddling their cookies in front of a grocery store, when a young couple came up and bought two boxes. The purchasers paid for their cookies with a hundred-dollar bill, but the Girl Scouts didn't bat an eye, giving them their Tagalongs and $93.50 in change. It was only later, when they took the C-note to the bank, that the girls discovered that the bill was counterfeit. (They should have gotten their first clue when the bill, rather than the customary engraving of Benjamin Franklin, had a picture of Joe Namath instead.) How degenerate do you have to be to rip off the Girl Scouts?

You'd think this would at least be an opportunity to educate the girls about the hard-knock life, about believing half of what you see and some or none of what you hear, about the old Russian saying "trust but verify." But when I stopped at my local grocery to buy some Thin Mints for my own self, I asked the girls if they were familiar with the tale of the bogus hundred, but only one of them had even heard the story.

I thought about pulling out a million-dollar bill to pay for my cookies, just to see if they'd give me $999,993.50 in change. But I didn't have one on me. (OK, I made up the part about Joe Namath.)

No comments: