Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oscar Day


The Academy announced this year's Oscar nominees this morning, and as is my custom more years than not, I haven't seen any of the Best Picture nominees. (I am interested to see Juno and Michael Clayton, though.) And, to tell the truth, I don't much care.

I say this for a couple of reasons. A couple of years back, when I actually did see the two main contenders for Best Picture, one of them - Brokeback Mountain - was quite good, and the other - Crash - wasn't good at all. Crash even started with the advantage of having the great Don Cheadle in it; making a bad movie with Don Cheadle in it is like being spotted two touchdowns and still losing the football game. Of course, Crash won the Oscar.

Primaily, though, my feeling is that awards don't confer greatness; they simply attempt to recognize it. If No Country for Old Men wins the award for Best Picture, that doesn't make it any better than it is; it just means a lot of people like it. Well, I already know that a lot of people like it.

As far as I'm concerned the biggest Oscar news of the day is that The Odd Couple's third season comes out on DVD today. Now that's worth getting up at dawn for.

No comments: