Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pour Some Sugar on Me

I hate to break it to you, kids, but the Archies weren't a real band. Jughead, for one, could barely play the drums at all. Their records were played and sung by outside people, most notably a singer named Ron Dante, which would later also provide the singing voices for the Chan Clan, progeny of the Amazing Chan.

I have no idea of the provenance of this clip, but apparently at some point Ron Dante stepped out from behind the animation to perform some of his Archies hits. Here he is doing "Sugar, Sugar" (which was co-written by Andy Kim of "Rock Me Gently" fame), accompanied by Ron Dante on drums, Ron Dante on guitar, and Ron Dante on tambourine. The set looks a little like it might be "The Merv Griffin Show," but I really have no idea.

Next week: The Banana Splits were just a bunch of guys in costumes.

1 comment:

MJN said...

OK, but can you please explain Milli Vanilli to me? I understand that Rob and Fab were exposed as frauds, but SOMEBODY created those songs that were so popular back in their day. Why would the public trash the music along with the fake singers, if they liked the music prior to Rob and Fab's ouster? Or were the songs not that good, and it was really the videos or concerts or whatever that people liked?

I wouldn't recognize a Milli Vanilli song if I heard one; I just thought it was unfair that the work of the people who actually made the music was suddenly deemed garbage.