Monday, August 20, 2007

Discovery

One day I was in the car, bored with all of the normal radio stations, so much so that I flipped it over to AM and set the scanner looking for -- I don't remember what I was looking for, since I never have much patience for sports talk, but what I found was an unaccompanied violin, wheezing out a lonesome riff. After a long interval of this, about the length of a Ramones song, a forlorn male voice came in, declaiming a bizarre story about a man escaping from the clutches of his nurse clad only in his pajamas. Men's pajamas are awfully rare in rock & roll songs, aren't they?

As the song rambled on, past five minutes (miraculously, I had tuned into it right at the very beginning of the track), I jotted down a line hoping I'd be able to search for it on the Internet: "Something my nurse would now have allowed." When I got home, I found the song and the artist: "Hallelujah" by Nick Cave, which is now the second best song I know called "Hallelujah."

I can't remember the last time I discovered a song on the AM radio. It must have been something like "Hot Child in the City."

2 comments:

Mark Lerner said...

May I point you towards "Back to Memphis," by the estimable Chuck Berry. All three of the song's verses mention pajamas.

I did not, however, discover it on AM radio, as I was only three when it was failing to garner much airplay.

Tom Nawrocki said...

I never thought of Chuck as a pajama-wearing kind of guy.