Friday, May 11, 2007

Quote of the Day

"Altamont, it could only happen to the Stones, man. Let's face it. It wouldn't happen to the Bee Gees." -- Keith Richards

I know I should stop writing about the Rolling Stones, but when I looked into that whole Richard/Richards thing, I picked up a copy of Stephen Davis' Old Gods Almost Dead, which is just chock-full of wonderful tidbits. Like:

* In a Tinker-Evers kind of feud, Bill Wyman stopped talking to Keith in 1970, and didn't say another word to him until 1981. I wonder if Keith ever noticed.

* One of Keith's doper running mates throughout the 1960s and 1970s, a guy named Stash de Rola, was the son of the creepy painter Balthus.

* Not just one guy but four people died at Altamont. One drowned in a ditch, two were killed in a car wreck, and one was stomped to death by the Hell's Angels.

* Brian Jones was an excellent swimmer.

No comments: