Tuesday, May 15, 2007

More Adventures in Orthography

Whilst transferring my vinyl copy of Art Garfunkel's Breakaway to my iTunes, as I wrote about here, I noticed that although the album is clearly called Breakaway, the would-be title track is styled, both on the back cover and on the sticker in the center of the wax, as "Break Away."

Gee, thanks, guys. I guess the logic is that the album title is the noun, but the song title refers to the verb form.

This is not nearly as bad, of course, as the British band the Rolling Stones, who on their 1972 album Exile on Main St. had a song styled "Hip Shake" on the sleeve but "Shake Your Hips" on the sticker, and another one called "Black Angel" on the sleeve but "Sweet Black Angel" on the sticker. Oh, and the album title is "Exile on Main St" on the front cover, but Exile on Main Street on the spine, but that's probably only of interest to copy editors.

Those guys must have been on drugs. Good record, though.

No comments: