Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Birthday Wishes


Alison Krauss, bluegrass fiddler and ethereal vocalist, turns 37 today. I would have guessed she was much older than that; Now That I've Found You, which was the first album of hers that I heard, came out when she was only 24, even though it's a bit of a career retrospective. She's a regular Tanya Tucker.

Nowadays, Krauss is best known for her album of duets with Robert Plant, Raising Sand, on which she achieves the miracle of making Plant sound playful, relaxed and, most incredibly, not self-important at all. Here they are doing "Gone, Gone, Gone," which is an old Everly Brothers tune (I'm pretty sure that's producer T Bone Burnett on guitar):

2 comments:

MJN said...

Bob may sound self-important on Zeppelin recordings, but in real life he is about the most friendly, unassuming rock star you've ever met.

Tom Nawrocki said...

Actually, I've never met him, but I have no doubt he's mellowed somewhat.

I don't hate Robert Plant as much as you might think, although I do find his singing annoying. But we've got a blog to run here. I could bash Firefall all day long, but who would care?