Sunday, March 25, 2007

Eatin' Old School in the Neighborhood

Several years back, Spin Magazine named "It Takes Two" by Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock as the greatest song of all time, in what seemed to me less a sincere judgment than an attempt to make a statement about both the magazine and the ossifying state of rock criticism, although the person who made that selection later told me that he probably really did think at that moment that "It Takes Two" was the greatest song of all time.

As radical as that choice might have seemed in 1989, it seems tame these days, now that "It Takes Two" is being used in radio ads for Applebee's, possibly the whitest restaurant chain in America. One wonders if some clueless ad exec thought he was buying the rights to "It Takes Two" by Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston. Or maybe I'm just completely at a loss as to how hip these family eateries have become, and I'll soon be hearing "911 Is a Joke" in an ad for Chili's.

1 comment:

Joe Levy said...

I am "the person who made that selection" to whom you refer. And I still think it's one of the greatest of all time.

Applebee's needs to get up to date. They should be using "99 Problems": "I've got 99 problems, but eatin' good in the neighborhood ain't one."