Saturday, September 27, 2008

Department of Embarrassment

As you know, I pride myself on only delivering material to the OPC readership that they are likely to be heretofore unfamiliar with. When I posted that item about Peter Lorre and Conrad Veidt being an absolute killer team in doubles Ping Pong, I thought surely here was something that none of my readers would know.

Boy, is my face red. Within hours of my posting that item, a new contributor with the handle 11 cents responded with this picture:



Get a load of those clamdiggers on Conrad Veidt! Nice legs, Connie! That drawing comes from the companion Web site for the biography from which I am drawing all these marvelous Peter Lorre items. The book is called The Lost One: A Life of Peter Lorre, by Stephen Youngkin, and the site includes many, many photos that aren't printed in the book. If you like Peter Lorre at all - and who doesn't? - it is well worth a bit of your time.

At least I can still pride myself on having the most knowledgeable readership of any modern-culture blog on the Internet.

3 comments:

heimweh said...

Hey, nothing to be embarrassed about. You have to get up pretty early in the morning to best me at Conradveidtiana. (Oh, did you say this was a fact about Peter Lorre? He was great too.)

Scraps said...

That is excellent!

Cheryl Morris said...

Hey, Tom, thanks for your great comments on both Stephen Youngkin's The Lost One: A Life of Peter Lorre and the website. I'm the webmaster, and I'm glad you're enjoying the site. I have passed on your post to my friend Stephen Youngkin, who is always interested in comments on his book.

Cheryl