Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chopped Liver

Back in 1989, Bob Dylan made a surprise appearance on the Chabad telethon, an annual Los Angeles event to raise money for the Lubavitcher movement. (The religious niceties of the Lubavitchers escape me, so my apologies in advance if I'm misrepresenting it.) This performance was much-discussed back in the 1990s, when there was really no outlet to see it; I saw it for the first time the other day, thanks to the wonders of YouTube.

Dylan appeared with Peter Himmelman, who, the host failed to note, was Dylan's son-in-law (and still is, near as I can tell), and Harry Dean Stanton. (I don't think Stanton's even Jewish.) Himmelman sings, Stanton plays harmonica, and Dylan tootles around on flute and recorder. The song they do, rather disappointingly, is not "Please Mrs. Henry":



This year's Chabad telethon is on September 18. You won't want to miss it.

No comments: