Friday, May 1, 2009

The Further Mysteries of Canada

April Wine's biggest hit, "Just Between You and Me," as I mentioned the other day, was the first song to be played twice on MTV. And whoever wrote their Wikipedia page seems very proud of the fact that April Wine was the first Canadian act to appear on MTV.

They always seemed like the simplest kind of band, as would befit an act out of the far corners of Canada (they hail from a suburb of Halifax). "Just Between You and Me" was awfully straightforward, even for a pop-metal ballad; the chorus was simply:

Just between you and me
Baby I know our love will be
Just between you and me
Always I know our love will be
Just between you, just between you and me


But then when they got to the final chorus, the singer slipped in something that sounded like "Some in at the one and one." What in the world was that all about? I never had the slightest idea what he was saying.

But now, thanks to the handy-dandy World Wide Web, I can find out. It turns out the line is actually "Seulement entre toi et moi." Get it? They're Canadian, and it's French! The line means "Only between you and me"; the full passage is "Seulement entre toi et moi/Means that our love will always be," which of course it doesn't.

The remarkable thing about all this is that I wasn't prompted to look this up because of that MTV deal, but because I heard "Just Between You and Me" on the radio the other day. Someone is still playing April Wine!

3 comments:

Innocent Bystander said...

As a Canadian who studied French through high school, I always knew that that line was French...

April Wine is on my list of unappreciated Canadian bands. Others: Prism, Chilliwack.

My two favorite April Wine songs: I'm on Fire for You Baby and I Wouldn't Want to Lose Your Love. Another nice little song is Cum Hear the Band. All of the above are from the mid-70s, long before the height of April Wine's commercial success.

Tom Nawrocki said...

I well remember Chilliwack: "Gone gone gone, she been gone so long...."

Anonymous said...

酒店
童裝批發
童裝批發
童裝
童裝
酒店喝酒
暑假打工
酒店
酒店經紀人
酒店小姐
酒店兼職
酒店上班
酒店兼差
禮服店
酒店上班
酒店打工
酒店小姐
酒店經紀
假日打工
台北酒店經紀
酒店應酬
粉味
酒店經紀爆米花
酒店上班PRETTY GIRL