Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Allnighter


You may have heard that Harry Reid plans to keep the Senate in session all night tonight in order to force the Republican members to acquiesce to an up-or-down vote on the War in Iraq. There has been a lot of discussion in the blogosphere over quorum calls and filibuster requirements, and I'll have to recuse myself from the technical details over what exactly Reid could accomplish with this, as it has been decades since I made use of Robert's Rules of Order. I do not know, for example, whether David Vitter will be permitted to supply his Republican comrades with those high-class ladies down in New Orleans, to help them get through the long night. I am pretty sure, though, that Vitter will be allowed to wear his diaper.

And I do know this: Nobody knows more about the Senate's parliamentary rules than Harry Reid does, except for Robert Byrd. And Byrd is on Reid's side.

No comments: