Monday, November 10, 2008

Oops, I Said It Again

Back when we were counting up the recurrence of certain phrases in pop songs, I deliberately left out the tallying of one-word phrases, because that would have been silly, even sillier than what we were actually doing. But I was very impressed this morning to hear Britney Spears' new single, "Womanizer" - actually, I should probably saw I say Britney's new single, because the video is at least as much of the art form for a work like this as the song itself.

Anyway, "womanizer" is a word that is not especially easy to pronounce, and, let's face it, Britney has never been the most facile of vocalists. But she fights through it like a champ on this song and by my count, she says "womanizer" a whopping 39 times. (Feeling charitable this morning, I gave Britney credit for three "womanizers" for that point in the chorus when she sings "womanizer, woman, womanizer.")

The video's director, getting into the spirit of things, includes as part of the set a board in which the word "womanizer" is printed several dozen times. I can't embed the video, but you can see it here.

No comments: