Friday, December 7, 2007

"Back Door Santa" Goes Unmentioned Again

FYI, an outfit called Edison Research (I hear it's a big syndicate from back east) has polled Americans on their most loved and hated Christmas songs. "The Christmas Shoes" has apparently not seeped into the nation's consciousness as of yet, and if I have anything to say about it, it won't. Here's the list:

LOVED
1. Nat King Cole, "The Christmas Song"
2. Bing Crosby, "White Christmas"
3. Johnny Mathis, "Do You Hear What I Hear"
4. Burl Ives, "A Holly Jolly Christmas"
5. Harry Simeone Chorale, "Little Drummer Boy"

HATED
1. Singing Dogs, "Jingle Bells"
2. Cartman, "O Holy Night"
3. Elmo & Patsy, "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"
4. Jackson 5, "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town"
5. Barbra Streisand, "Jingle Bells"

FWIW, I rarely hear that Jackson 5 number, since it's been so overwhelmingly superceded by the Springsteen version. And I've never heard Cartman's song; I can't say that I want to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What kind of twisted society leaves almost any version of "Silent Night" out of the top five?